Sunday, September 27, 2009

"y no mail?"

I was reading my some old mails and came across quite a few mails i had sent to my cousins and brother and sister-in-law. What I saw made me want to shake my head to clear the dew collecting inside my head. I had been so brazenly open about whatever I wanted them to do, and they would always reply with a sorry. I've never really been all that brave with anyone, but when it came to emails, here i was ordering them around! Well it wasn't really all that bad but still, I'm just surprised that those were written by me.

My first incoming mail was spam. CIAL1S for a 13 year old girl! No wonder it was unread mail. 'Course, Harish anna had probably instructed me not to open such mails. Did he tell me what Cial1s was? I really don't remember.


dear anna,
wot happened?i've not heard 4m u 4 @least 2 m's!!!
btw i m cruising thru my hols and 2morrow i get my xam
results.got 2 go to the kovil u no!btw,my cousin Reshmi's here and she's leaving 2de 4 kozhikode.h annas here.wt more?
pls do tell me when u r coming back 2 our dear Bharat mahaan!?
so long since i seen u .whn is ur course finishin?pls dont forget to mail.
anna says u r going thru a lot of tuf times.sok.tuf times do come u no?
of corz u do.ha !joke of the ear!!! ;-)anys pls reply soon.
be,
poochai.


I know it's crazy of me to post this here, but I couldn't help noticing how different I am now from back then. This was sent to a cousin when I was 15. My English was bad and I used the SMS language. The subject of the mail was: 'y no mail?'. I struggled to read and understand it today. I posted it here because I had a hearty laugh reading it, and invite you to read your first email, if you were born at the right time :)

FYI,
Wrote that email during my vacations after 10th standard to a cousin in the US.
Kovil means temple in Tamil.
Kozhikode is a place in Kerala. A lot of people I know haven't heard of the place, and most can't pronounce it. You gotta roll your tongue a particular way to get the 'zhi' part right.
H anna means Harish Anna, my brother.
Poochai in Malayalam means cat. It was one of my pet names.

4 comments:

Kiran Danduprolu said...

You have archived all incoming and outgoing mails since you had a email account !!! Thats unbelievable ... I doubt if I remember my first email account forget about the mails that I had received or sent ....

You knew SMS lingo since u were 15 ... Either you are living ahead of t time or I m living behind (I dont think this is possible) ... Also considering the facts that u had basic in class 4, foxpro in class 10 and typing in 7,8

Poochai was 'one' of your pet names ... I thought more than one where only kept in the schools, colleges

anusha said...

I didn't get too many mails. The total count of sent mails is just 185 odd and around 2110 received mails.
Poochai was one of my pet names at home. My brother kept coming up with a lot of them. Most were seasonal. Nobody in school or college called me that!

Ranjith said...

very funny :) it took me sometime to undertsand the lingo too!! and i look for my first mail and realize this is not my first account!

funniest was "tuf times do come u kno?".. you know, with a question mark! he he

Narayann Swaami said...

Dear Anusha,
'Poocha' is malayalam for cat.
Poochai is our khidchi-pachadi language for you.