Saturday, December 06, 2008

Industrial Tour

The first 9 days of vacations were F-U-N!!!
I went on an industrial tour with my batchmates from the IT branch. Ironically, there was nothing industrial about it, it was all tour, and thus we behaved like tourists to the T. Man it was FUN!

I simply have to talk about it in detail. I will do so in the course of the following week, and trust me to give full justice to every paisa spent, every sleepless night and every pain in all the places of the anatomy.

I'll start with Day 0, the day before we started on the tour. The date was 27th November, the day after the Mumbai terror attacks started. My family and friends were pensive about the tour and though I was upbeat about it that morning, after a couple of phone calls filled with murky warnings from well-wishers, i was left speculating whether it indeed was a good idea or not. but my friends, having got no such calls, and having planned for this trip for about a month, were sure that they would go. i reached home and started packing anyway, trying my best to ignore all the supposed danger, and managed quite well. my father helped by calling up people to verify whether it was safe to be holidaying at this time, and finally it was decided that i would go, if my best friend Siri was going. So i packed my stuff and left for her house at about 20:30, as i had to be at Secunderabad Railway Station for the train at 06:50 the next morning, and doing so was going to be difficult given that my home was a good half hour away from the place.
Once i arrived, i knew that Siri wasnt sure about the trip too. Her sister and brother-in-law were trying their best to talk her out of it. they finally succeeded, and we were busy informing everyone that we wouldn't be going. back then, i wasnt looking forward to the tour at all so wasn't all that disappointed. after the tedious exercise, we thought we should find out if we would get our money back. It turned out we wouldn't, and we went to bed with that costly prick on our minds.

Day 1
For Siri and me, the day started at 00:00. We were wide awake and talking stuff trying to reassure each other that the decision that had been made was the right one. I couldn't help but think in terms of the money that was involved. after a lot of dilly-dallying about the pros and cons of going and not going, we finally settled on a fresher decision. We wanted to go. So now we had to wait for 4:00 when we could wake Siri's mom to inform her that we really wanted to go, given the feeble chance of anything happening to us during the trip and the money that we would lose if we opted out of it. She gave in, and we were back to packing and plotting. We reached the station at 06:20. The girls in the IT 4/4 class are a fun bunch, I was a part of the fun party by noon, and we played games and shared silly ghost stories and found humor in the silliest of things. The joy was complemented by the fact that someone i had disappointed earlier that morning didn't think i was all that bad after all, so i retired with a mixed sense of relief and the kid of tiredness that too much mirth brings you.

No comments: